Old September 17th 06, 01:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.sport.triathlon
Frank Drackman

Default newbie needs advice selecting an expensive bike for sprint triathlons

"Bert L.am" wrote in message ...

"Notgiven" schreef in bericht

Q: What should I look for in a good beginner bike?
A: Don't care about the brand of the bike, most of them come from Taiwan
anyhow, care about components. It like to suggest Shimano 105 or Campa
Veloce as an entry level.

I totally disagree. Get the best frame possible that fits you. Don't worry
about components, thinking that 105 is entry level racing is pure marketing
BS. As components wear out you can step up in quality but if you go the
other way you will be stuck with a poor quaility/heavy frame.

Q: Is there an OVERWHELMING argument for the extra $400 to get a better
bike?
A: No, there isn't: you're the master of your own destiny and your own
wallet

Q: Where can I get good deals online?
A: What hemisphere, continent, country? try www.roseversand.de. Where does
the TLD 'invalid' reside?

Q: What about buying a used bike?
A: Hmm, since you're if tri is the thing for you: very wise. Your
piggybank will like it

This is the best idea. I would try to purchase locally if possible so that
you can test ride. Save buying on Ebay until you know your size and other
requirements better.

Many thanks for your help!!

Anytime

--