Old March 18th 11, 12:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

Default Ed Dolan & Music

On 3/17/2011 6:05 PM, Edward Dolan wrote:
"T�m Sherm�nT " wrote in
message ...
On 3/16/2011 10:05 PM, Edward Dolan wrote:

[...]
No one has the patience for this kind of music [Bach] anymore. It belongs
in a
museum.

Yes, many have feeble and disordered minds. To those with more mental
capacity, Bach is revelatory.

One can listen to a composition by Bach hundreds of times, and learn
something new each time.

As Dimitri Shostakovitch said, "Not all composers believe in God, but all
believe in Bach".

Here is Mr. Sherman attempting to take the high road, but it is nothing but
political correctness run amuck.

I was not aware that accusing most of the world's population of having
feeble or disordered minds was politically correct.

Besides, I have it on the good authority of Jym Dyer that I am
politically incorrect.

Let's spend a few moments discussing baroque music. Is it any more relevant
than Renaissance music? I think not. It has become antique music to our
ears. I once rather liked Bach in my youth, but by now it has become
tiresome to say the least.

There is great music from the Renaissance also.

Baroque music was never popular with the public. It was always music of
musicians and scholars. It truly does belong in museums just like
Renaissance music. I remember an old RCA 78 RPM catalog that I had from the
1940's. There was very little baroque music in it. It was only with the
advent of the LP recording that baroque music began to come into its own.
But that that was because musicians liked it. After all, it was easy to play
and new music to most of the world. But you cannot resurrect that which has
died. Even Bach was outmoded and considered old fashioned before he died
himself. The public has never liked baroque music since at least the time of
Bach.

The public has always preferred schlock. As John Charles Walsham Reith,
1st Baron Reith, said, "It is occasionally indicated to us that we are
apparently setting out to give the public what we think they need- and
not what they want - but few know what they want and very few what they
need. In any case it is better to overestimate the mentality of the
public than to underestimate it. He who prides himself on giving what he
thinks the public wants is often creating a fictitious demand for lower
standards which he himself will then satisfy."

Mr. Sherman is as always out of the mainstream. That is too bad for him,

Indeed.

just as it is for another asshole by the name of Andr� Jute. However I fear
even mainstream classical music is becoming alien to our hears. The young no
longer have brains wired to receive it. The truth is that music is not a
universal language anymore than any spoken language is. Even my beloved
Beethoven will shortly no longer be listened to by anyone.

Everything changes (except base human nature of course) and culture is
forever moving on. Even so the 19th century saw the glory of Western fine
art music. We will never see its like again.

Human nature is indeed often base.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.