Old July 5th 03, 01:09 AM
kingsley

Default Bike sgop in Sydney

On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 08:40:34 +1000, SH wrote:

So wouldnt you say they are really just a commuter shop,
not a real bike shop?

Cheeky Monkey is one of the best bike stores I've
ever visited. The guys live and breathe bikes, they
are passionate about their work (Adam is a damn fine
wheel builder too).

If you go in and ask a question you will be given
a direct an honest answer. (This week I was told to
buy a particular bike on special from Phantom because
it was better than what they could do.)

The shop itself is tiny, but I always find it is packed
with more interesting stuff than Clarence. And there's
a mix of bikes too - everything from roadies to foldables.
It's a great place to browse, and have a look at what's
going on.

Of course what you wont find is a $9999 mountain bike
on the floor[1], nor 25 different flavours of Trek. Don't
get me wrong, Clarence St Cyclery is a great store too,
but despite 3 floors and lots of bikes, I don't find
the interesting and off-beat equipment you get at Cheeky
Monkey. A case in point are my lepoard-print fur mudflaps
I'm going to put on the tandem ('The Wumpus')... hardly
a commuting bike or product.

Both stores will give a discount to Bicycle NSW members.

Oh, and don't forget "Woolies Wheels" (sp?) Out at Paddington,
or any of the other non-CBD shops.

-kt

[1] a silver-grey Klein(?) XTR groupset expensive-alloy
(but not titanium). It's to the right of the 'special'
bikes on to ground floor adjacent to the counter.
Can someone please point out what that last $2000 is
buying?!