Old August 10th 18, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

Default Stolen Bike

On 09/08/18 17:28, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Thu, 09 Aug 2018 09:05:01 +0100, TMS320 wrote:

On 08/08/18 21:42, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Wed, 08 Aug 2018 21:09:45 +0100, TMS320 wrote:
On 08/08/18 20:44, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Wed, 08 Aug 2018 20:41:27 +0100, TMS320 wrote:
On 08/08/18 19:21, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Wed, 08 Aug 2018 15:24:39 +0100, TMS320 wrote:
On 07/08/18 18:29, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Tue, 07 Aug 2018 15:27:28 +0100, JNugent
wrote:

It is intended only to alert other road-users to one's presence.
Er no. It means "You ****ing arsehole, why the hell didn't you
indicate?!"
*A horn conveys no information so how are your targets supposed
to know what your problem is?
*Well let me see, Mr Smith turns right at a roundabout without
indicating, and someone correctly pulls in front of him, then
sounds their horn when they see he's about to collide with them.
He can then look up the highway code or whatever and find out why
the other car had the right of way.

Just because Mr Smith is not indicating right it is not correct
for AN Other to pull out on a whim. Too many hims and thems.
Explain who is doing what and who ends up in front of whom.
*If you don't indicate right at a roundabout, you do not have the
right to turn right.* WTF are you doing turning without informing
other road users as to where you intend to go?

When following marked lanes indication is not necessary. Indication
is only useful when making lane changes or where there is ambiguity.
And I live in the south east where most people adapt to cope with
each others' behaviour without going into a hissy fit at every
opportunity.

Please explain your scenario in more detail.
*Now think of a roundabout without lanes.* Or maybe one with two
entry lanes and three exits.* And don't assume that cars at the other
side can tell what lane you're in.

Still not enough information. Every roundabout is different. No
mention of* timing and you don't say which driver ends up aiming at
the other driver's doors.

This is precisely why everyone should indicate.

Precisely why what? You're still short of description. Have you entered
the roundabout ahead of the other driver or are you entering while the
other driver is ahead of you?

No indicator means you're going straight ahead, end of story.

Straight on from where? Once a roundabout is more than a certain size
the relationship between entry and exit becomes completely irrelevant.

You seem to be just trying to make a point rather than trying to work
out how to use a roundabout in the most efficient way for the
circumstances you find at the time.

Depending on the size, I indicate left when I leave, and indicate right
if I'm going around it a fair distance.

With very rare exceptions I don't indicate twice; either right while
circulating or left before leaving, depending on layout, lane and
conditions. There are roundabouts where the major road goes right, and
though minor roads join between, it is not necessary to indicate when
following the major. There are many other examples.