Old April 13th 18, 03:11 PM posted to aus.bicycle
news18

Default Ebikes

On Fri, 13 Apr 2018 11:05:42 +0000, Zebee Johnstone wrote:

If it isn't stamped with the appropriate certificate marks, the plod can
require you to take it and get it tested, else confiscate it until it is
tested.

So you stamp it. Hint, those links say it must meet a European Enbike
standard, it doesn't say it has to be one, aka EU commercial product.

That is stated in one of the links provided that you didn't read.

Page number?

[quoted text muted]

And you haven't provided any. Because there isn't any. If you think
there is, then provide links to same.

Its the bit where it says the motor can provide 250W for extended periods.

Hint, from a previous post in the newsgroup during the Vic period
requiring you to pedal at the same time. You didn't actually have to put
power into the bicycle, just rotate the pedal so the sensor detected the
chain ring rotating. It was a post about problems someone had with a
broken chain where he pushed the trike for hundreds of metre and someone
pointed out that all he had to do was rotate the chain wheel. YMMV.

What PLOD will be looking at is sustained speed above 25kms per hour on
the flat. That was in one of your links. So you don't use power assist to
speed along and Plod wont get suspicious. Plod really just looks that
your wearing a helment. Now that ICE assist is banned, it is the major
reason for pulling bicycle riders over.

Lol, the only time Plod ever tried to pull me over was on a dual use path
way as they throught my lighting was a motorcycle (stealth mode Lol).
then they started laughing as they realised I had a 50watt halogen as my
front light.

The e-bike stuff they reference is a quideline and it comes down to you
actually breaking one of the other road rules for them to ping you. One
of my bicycle building plans was a cargo trike with about 500 watt power
assist. Since the plan was for really low gears for hills, the ebnike
would have never been fast enough to warrant attention for speed. Oddity
yes, but speed never.