Old July 5th 11, 03:37 AM posted to aus.bicycle
thefathippy

Default The use of a woolen scarf in cycling

On Jun 30, 1:29*am, Geoff Lock glock@home wrote:
On 29/06/2011 12:13 PM, Theo Bekkers wrote:

"Geoff Lock" *wrote
A warmer body core temperature during the start of a 3am ride is
nice even if I do heat up considerably, to dispense with the scarf
wrapping, within 10-15 mins of cycling.

Surely you should use a newspaper to keep your torso from the cold
wind? Preferably a copy of Le Velo.

Ahem! Trust you to pick up on that Some years ago, I actually saw a
coupla cyclists do that on the downhill during one of Le Tour's mountain
stages. I think it was done for a laugh becos I don't think I ever saw
that again.

I do admit that I got the idea of keeping just the front of my torso
warm from that bit of history It works quite well you know - with the
scarf - I mean

Used to be popular with moto riders as well, but lighweight windproof
vests have replaced newsprint for keeping me warm.

Although I haven't ridden *all* night, or anywhere near it, there's
something special about a full moon night ride - moreso if you opt to
ride stealth. [1] Off road is best, of course.

Tony F

[1] danger Will Robinson - I bear a scar on my eyelid from riding
stealth and hitting a tree branch that was across the track at eye
height. Lucky I wasn't blinded or knocked unconscious. Saw lots of
stars that night.but they seemed to be inside my head.