Old April 22nd 07, 03:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

Default Hybrid/Comfort Bike Recommendation

The spousal unit has finally conceded that she needs a new bike. Her
previous bike got transferred to my daughter, and she'd been riding my
old Montague Urban folder that is really too big for her. I added a
Delta extension onto the headset to raise the bars, put on an adjustable
stem to raise them more and to bring them closer, but the reach is just
too far.

She insists on a bike with upright handlebars, and for the riding she
does, mostly in-town riding, or multi-use paths, etc., I guess it's
okay, and I have no choice.

Requirements
-Triple crankset, no Nexus
-No suspension
-Cromo Frame, no aluminum
-Threaded headset (preferred, but I can always add an extender to a
threadless headset).
-Braze-ons for racks and fenders, and at least two sets of bottle braze-ons
-Upright handlebars
-Frame size of 19-20"/48-50 cm

So far, all I've found (new) is the Bianchi Avenue
("http://www.bianchiusa.com/07_avenue.html"), which doesn't have the
greatest components, though it's not too expensive and I could always
upgrade components as needed. There are some used Jamis bikes around
before they went to the cheaper AL frames, but CroMo bikes are in such
high demand that they're no bargain.

I prefer 700c wheels over 26" just because it's so much easier to get
road tires for these bikes. I've had to special order road tires for 26"
and 24" wheeled bicycles in my fleet, and the selection is very limited.

Are there any bikes I'm missing here? I've checked the major (and minor)
brands, and couldn't find anything else.