Old July 21st 04, 11:51 PM
rickster

Default Live Tour Coverage - Tonight at 11.25pm

WHibyron27 wrote in message ...
taken by itself its not so bad (so bad, relative, to say, getting your
fingernails pulled out with electric pliers). The Alpe is a
heartbreaker because it is usually the last climb of a stage, after
climbing the galabier and the madeleine. That said, the first two
switchbacks are nasty, nasty but its not too bad after that. The
switchbacks are great to get a rest for a couple of secs and because it
is back and forth up the mountain the visual impact is not so
terrifying.I was quite surprised. I had more trouble getting up to
chamrousse just outside of grenoble (used for the ITT in 2001) than the
alpe.

Ventoux is like that. No switchbacks and a clear view to the
top....great .

Anyone have any times for their ride up the alpe?
I did 51 minutes in 2001, and it was the best fun ive had for ages. So
was riding back down!!

Which would put you on about the same time as Matthew Wilson. Either
you're a couldvebeen pro, a pro, a phenomenol climber or your clock
was wrong !!