Old March 19th 18, 06:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default New bike path

On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 22:27:12 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 3/18/2018 7:32 PM, John B. wrote:
On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 10:46:25 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 3/18/2018 6:04 AM, John B. wrote:
On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 23:11:05 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 3/17/2018 11:06 AM, Joerg wrote:

There will always be areas where it doesn't work...

Well, THERE'S a statement I can agree with! I'd say it applies to
countless areas!

or, like in Milton
Keynes, the design gets largely messed up and then people don't use it.

Very few people claim that Stevenage's and Milton Keynes' designs were
"messed up." They (or at least Stevenage, which I'm more familiar with)
were state of the art, matching or exceeding what was done in the
Netherlands at the time.

The "messed up" part was the automobile facility system. It was too
good. Since motoring was not dissuaded, people chose to drive cars.
It's thoroughly explained he www.roadswerenotbuiltforcars.com/stevenage/

I think that the point is that people are inherently lazy, for want of
a better description.

Yes, most people are inherently lazy.

Joerg claims that if the government puts in lots of bike paths, people
will use their cars a lot less. They'll take to bicycling in droves.

Perhaps he also thinks that if building designers would just put in
extra stairways, people would stop using elevators.

I taught at a university. I had two offices, one on the third floor and
one on the fourth. Yes, I usually used the stairs. But I usually had
them to myself. And there were many times I saw people use the elevator
to go up or down just one floor.

The other day my wife was talking to a friend and mentioned that I
often rode a bicycle for an hour and the friend was amazed that anyone
could ride a bicycle for a whole hour. Oh! Such a long ride!

I doubt that these sort of people, and my guess is that they greatly
outnumber those who might embark on such a long ride, will ever become
a cyclist Mups or no Mups.

When my daughter was a very young Girl Scout, we took the troop, their
bicycles and a few of their mothers with their bikes to a local rail
trail. We all rode 3.5 miles out, then back.

Seven miles! The women were amazed! They never thought that it was
possible for a non-professional to ride seven miles.

I'm quite sure none of those women ever tried it again.

Back when I was running I used to run 3.5 miles out and 3.5 miles back
:-)
--
Cheers,

John B.