Old February 26th 06, 10:18 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Default SYD: bicycles on the Old Road

In article ,
Zebee Johnstone wrote:

the Motor Cycle Council has heard disquieting rumours
about how some cyclists are planning to try and baulk motorcycles by
spreading wide as the bike approaches, and some motorcyclists plan to
kybosh this by riding between the cyclists and "scaring them by
swerving".

Sydney certainly sounds like *the* place to get around on two wheels at
present! What the hell? Something in the water?

Why do you ride on the Old Road?

I don't, thankfully it seems.

Or other hilly twisty roads? Because
it's nearby? BEcause you need the work on hills? Because it's fun?
Because there's nowhere else without traffic lights? The view is good
and the hard work's good for you?

Most of the above.

When you hear a vehicle coming up behind, can you tell it's a motorcycle
reliably?

Yes.

If it is, what's your reaction to it?

Relief that it's not a truck or ute.

Does that change if it's a
straight or a corner, right hander or left hander?

Not really.

Does it make a difference if you are just out for a ride, or seriously
in a training mindset?

No.

When you are out on a twisty bit of road, do you like to ride in a
bunch (law or no law) or singlefile wheelsucking all the way? Do you
prefer to ride 2 abreast? How do you decide to pick a particular
configuration?

It depends on the width of the road, whether we're taking it easy or
not, the state of the conversation.

Do you find that when you are hammering and a motorcycle's coming
doing the same thing that you have to pull in and it disrupts you?
Or do you just figure "the one behind has to pass" and keep your line?
Do you usually get enough time to think about a reaction?

I keep my line. I can't recall a passing motorcyclist ever showing any
sign of annoyance at this.

Do they pass too close?

I can't recall that ever happening.

Have you been cut off in a corner?

No.

Have you been sprayed with bluemetal as someone apexes in front of you?

No, but most of the roads I'm on don't have loose metal. I'd be very
****ed off if it did happen, though.

What good experiences have you had with motorcycles out for a fang?
What bad ones?

They use the road and I use the road, and about the only time there's
any concern is when an oncoming motorcycle cuts a corner a bit too much.

Who has had the patience to read this far?

Whew.

--
Shane Stanley