Old May 26th 20, 02:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_7_]

Default Bonking + Bicycles

Mark Cleary wrote:
I have and takes 24 hours of nothing but rest, food and liquids. 1989
Chicago Marathon I ran whole way in 3:23 and it was hot 80 degrees in sun
last 8 miles. I sat down at the end and could not get back up. I tried to
stand and it all when white buzz. A friend found me and gave me a regular
coke to drink. Within minutes got up and got to car drove home.

I of course was 30 years younger at the time. To this day I never stop
and eat except on century I am pushing for time. I don’t even take water
for 50 miles unless hot. I good for 59-70 but can bonk if I am low on
fuel. No matter what a 28/34 gear is not easy.

Moral is probably fuel sugar coke ok!

Deacon Mark

Like I said, I Earp gels riding. Maybe a cliff bar in the middle if the
rides long enough. Riding for 50 miles with no liquid? That’s probably
not a good idea. On an 85km ride I’d do a couple water bottles at least.