Old February 27th 08, 07:39 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc

Default !n Saw an intelligent bicyclist today

On Feb 27, 12:44 pm, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:
wrote: If you have trouble seeing ordinary (non-orange)

cyclists or pedestrians in plenty of time, you're not driving responsibly. Try
slowing down and paying more attention.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Frank, the population of drivers and the population of riders are both
statistical distributions (bell curve). By making yourself more visible, a
you put yourself on a better part of your curve, so it is less likely that
you will have a problem with a drivers on the bad part of their curve.

I don't disagree with that. And if a cyclist chooses to be extra-
visible, I certainly won't object. However, as long as the cyclist is
legal, he has no obligation to dress funny so motorists can exert less
care.

Lights and reflectors at night? Sure. Day-glo orange when riding to
work? No. It's the driver's responsibility to see where he's going,
see who or what is on the road, and control his vehicle accordingly.

- Frank Krygowski