Old June 21st 18, 05:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default The Kochtopus Crushes Nashville Transit

On Thursday, June 21, 2018 at 7:28:33 AM UTC-7, Sepp Ruf wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
The Kochtopus Crushes Nashville Transit:
https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/...ville-transit/

Imagine my surprise: Poor people voted against astronomical sales tax, fat
people voted against limited availability of plus-size seating.

And the site actually almost contains a little bicycle tech content, check
out the wheelchair's tire!
https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/06/talia-lavin-new-yorker-smears-war-veteran-justin-gaertner/

The Global Warming Faithful and other Clinton Voters had better stay
clear. Sample quote: "Even in Portland, Ore., where light rail is
considered a raging success, the system accounts for only 0.9 percent of
passenger miles traveled."

Gee, I wonder if a considerably higher "proportion of (inner-city) trips
traveled" wouldn't look as attractive as 0.x in promoting the journo's argument.

Andre Jute Don't shoot the piano player; I was a liberal before you were
born.

And what kind of financing would you propose to have Portland's vital
trans-Lycabettus bicycling arteries "re"paved after Jay convincingly
demonstrated that they resemble, in their current state, crumbling, yet
polished, moss-turtle infested ruins?

--
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Df-dB5-XUAAzqCY.jpg

Please, its "turtle-****", which for those watching at home, is the slurry of decomposing leaves and other organic matter that accumulates on the side of the road. The broken concrete roads are mostly in the West Hills and some of the older neighborhoods, and repaving would remove so much charm! My frequent route home: https://tinyurl.com/y7c2jzts The picture fails to convey the elevation difference between the broken slabs. I just follow the utility patch. Then onto an unpaved access road/trail. https://tinyurl.com/yalvlz4a

I like my goat roads, and I do not use the streetcar or MAX (light rail) except to the airport -- and the new westside route down SW Barbur will be a f***** nightmare for me because it will subject me to years of construction noise, loss of automobile travel lanes and massively increased congestion, particularly when there is an accident on I-5. The bike lane on Barbur will probably turn into one of those running-the-gauntlet lanes that appears every time a rail line is put in. You have to jump up and down sidewalks, get hemmed in by parallel rail tracks, dodge people blithely stepping off train platforms across bike lanes. It's a lot of infrastructure and often for a few people who actually take the train. The east side Orange line has not seen the predicted ridership -- although that may change as people rat-out of Portland proper. https://www.oregonlive.com/commuting...s_arent_s.html

-- Jay Beattie.