Old February 12th 18, 05:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Battery Replacement on Lights with Internal Li-Ion Batteries

On 2018-02-11 09:28, sms wrote:
On 2/11/2018 8:19 AM, Joerg wrote:

snip

Or in my case real electrical systems such as cars had them for
decades. Though I was surprised how few cyclists do this and that
still holds true today. Most just have blinkers with some tiny AAA
cells in there. The designers of those things usually weren't even
smart enough to integrate a low-battery warning so I often see riders
where the rear light has fizzled to the power of a glowing
cigarette tip.

Those AAA cell lights are really annoying.

My favorite tail light is the CatEye TL-LD1100 which uses two AA cells.
It also is one of the few tail lights that still has side-pointing LEDs
as well are rear pointing LEDs.

Still available from Asia.
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/CATEYE-Bike-Bicycle-6-LED-Rear-Tail-Laser-Light-Bike-Back-Red-Light-Safety-Warning-Flashing/434036_32786881487.html.

Does it at least have a low-battery warning?

Sure. There are six red LEDs at the back of the unit. When they get
really
dim, your battery is low.

LOL, that's what I said.

PS: What is the use of a low battery indicator on a device that is
mounted
where you can't see it?

Simple: When clicking the light on you must stand over it or near it. It
could, for example, issue three short flashes after turn-on for batt-ok,
two flashes for "enough but not for more than a few hours" and on flash
for "it'll be empty very soon".

True. Plus sticking a couple of AA cells in your tool bag is not a big
deal.

And then the light gets dimmer and dimmer and runs out while on a long ride.

Running wires all over the bicycle to power lights from a central
power source has its drawbacks.

My road bike even has wires inside the tubes.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/