Old February 12th 18, 05:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default Battery Replacement on Lights with Internal Li-Ion Batteries

On Monday, February 12, 2018 at 3:13:46 AM UTC-5, John B. wrote:

On 2018-02-10 18:25, John B. wrote:
On Sat, 10 Feb 2018 19:25:57 -0500, Frank Krygowski wrote:

On 2/10/2018 4:03 PM, Joerg wrote:

Everyone installing a high-powered LED light on a bicycle, front or
rear, should walk towards their lit bike during daylight and then again
at night. If the light is annoying, do something about it.

I agree with this.

But I'd add, before buying high powered LED lights, check out any more
ordinary lights you have in a similar way. Have a friend ride your bike
as you observe. I've done this many times with friends.

Contrary to current myths, you do not need super-powerful lights to be
plenty visible. Any headlight that shows the road sufficiently will be
perfectly visible to motorists, and taillights need far, far less power
to make you safe.

I had plenty of opportunity to compare StVZO tail lights versus the over
there "illegal" lights such as PDW DangerZone or Radbot. HUGE difference
in visibility.

Joerg, I don't think anyone disagrees that super-bright, non-compliant,
glaring lights make you more visible. Using an aircraft landing light
would make you more visible. Using an emergency vehicle light bar
http://www.fleetsafety.com/federal-s...led-light-bar/
would make you more visible.

What many people are arguing is that your extremes are not necessary and
not even appropriate. They are detrimental to other road users,
including other cyclists, and their promotion constitutes more fear
mongering. You're being no smarter than the asses who always drive their
jacked-up pickups with high beams, light bars and fog lights glaring.
It's MFFY behavior.

A bicyclist does NOT need headlights as bright as those on a 75 mph car,
just as he does not need 10 gauge spokes, motorcycle-strength chains,
solid flat-proof tires or all the other extreme equipment you call for.

- Frank Krygowski

In the morning I see 20 or 25 bicycles in my "hood" every day and to
date I've yet to see a light turned on although nearly all of them
have a dynamo and head light mounted on the front wheel, and even with
the fleets of motorcycle taxi's and the kids going to school and all
the folks buying their daily provisions I've yet to see a bicycle
collide with anything.

How can this be" No lights and no collisions?

What's the street lighting like?

In many city areas, lighting is bright enough that bicyclists can be visible
even without lights. Not that I recommend riding without lights - but it
can be survivable.

- Frank Krygowski