Old July 31st 17, 10:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default New bike for Jay

On 2017-07-28 15:57, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, July 28, 2017 at 2:10:10 PM UTC-7, David Scheidt
wrote:
Joy Beeson wrote: :On Thu,
27 Jul 2017 09:39:03 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

: Just two water bottles that I filled every 50 miles.

:When I could ride that far, a bottle would last about ten
miles.

Jay's a camel.

Not like Jobst. I fill up big bottles. I just don't take
more than two -- except on rare occasion. When selecting a
bike, I don't go into the store and ask for an '80s
Euro-sport bike with a rack so I can haul gallons of water on
a day ride.

Joerg has peculiar needs. I'm fine with a couple of bottle
bosses and 160mm brake rotors on a gravel bike. If I were
riding trails in the middle of nowhere, I might consider a
camel back or some other option, but I'm not. I'm never that
far from water on a day ride.

http://www.performancebike.com/webap...HydrationGuide

Quote: "Carry and consume one 16-24oz bottle of plain water, plus one
extra 16-24oz bottle of an energy drink for each hour on the
bike".

Most of my rides are 4-5h and I am a tall guy who is more at
the upper end of the water requirement scale. So there.

Yes, this also applies to Oregonians since they have a store
in Portland :-)

There used to be three Performance stores in Portand, but they
closed the one downtown -- the only one close to my work or
home.

So, reading that prescription, do I have to carry eight bottles
for a four hour ride?

Certainly so in hot weather. If you carry much less and have no
re-fill options you could be causing damage to your body.

... Wow, I better start buying cages and hose clamps. Or I could
just stop every hour and fill up my bottles -- assuming I needed
all that fluid. Hmmmmmm.

I need that much fluid when it's around 100F out there like right
now. Yesterday's ride was only 20mi in hilly terrain and I consumed
about 70oz of water plys 16oz of electrolyte.

Ok, plus two pints at a brewpub :-)

I did a 30 mile loop this afternoon -- nothing terrible because
I'm expecting to get throttled by some friends tomorrow.
Temperature was low-mid 80s -- blue skies, low wind. A gorgeous
day. I went through one 21oz bottle, and there is still some
water sloshing around in the bottle.

Unless you rode really slowly that wasn't healthy even without much
sun.

Well, I felt good enough to go out yesterday for a 55 mile ride with
about 20 miles of steady or rolling hills, during which time I drank
one 24oz bottle of Hammer Heed and a quarter of a 21oz bottle of
water -- plus a Cliff Bar. I went early and temperatures were mild,
and except for the return trip down HWY 30, I was often under tree
cover.
http://www.sahdpdx.com/wp-content/up...highway_30.jpg

That looks like an easy ride. Really wide shoulder and all. I had a
similar one on the way home yesterday.

https://goo.gl/maps/k2LVKpS6GLs

The constant din of cars is annoying but I have an MP3 player mounted to
the steerer tube that is (somewhat) able to drown that out.

You complain about your drivers, I was on this road:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Fzwm4m3ZFI (although it was sunny
and nice).

Yikes! That's how our crotch rocket guys ride. Many assume there will
never be anything behind a curve. Until there is ...

One of my MTB buddy was a first responder and he told me some gruesome
stories about the aftermath.

... It was pretty empty early morning, so no urban race-car
drivers. First climb of the day is four miles of mostly gravel.
http://www.rubbertotheroad.com/ride-...de_36/36_3.jpg It's like
being in the Hobbit kingdom.

If it were blistering hot (i.e. Thursday is predicted to be 107), I
would have consumed much more water, and I would have stopped to
refill. The center section of the ride doesn't have anywhere to stop
(unless I tapped someone's hosebib), but there are spots elsewhere,
and the last eight miles home are through the city -- basically my
commute route plus a few miles. If I were so inclined, I could go to
a half-dozen brew pubs, including the new Breakside in NW. Their IPA
is first-rate. However, I prefer not to ride home after drinking
beer.

I usually have one on the way back or somewhere near the destination. No
more growlers though since I now brew my own.

I felt way better than I should have coming home, I think because of
the HEED -- and a tail wind. Drinking for recovery is just as
important as drinking on the bike, so I had a beer after getting home
-- and then mowed the lawn. That was hard! I drank 120oz of water!

How does Hammer Heed stack up against Ultima Replenisher? That's what I
use so far, the orange version of it. The lemon version tastes too much
like a diet soda IMHO.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/