Old October 17th 03, 06:35 AM
Sheldon Brown

Default Campy Record Bottom Bracket Spacer

tomgaul wrote:
Thanks for the replys, I din't check back right away thinking I got this
problem taken care of. I now know that the spacer is needed between the
right side of the BB and the cup to move the cahin rings to the right
for proper alignment of the chainrings to the cassette, apparently only
when using the 39 - 11 combination. The chain will rub on the inside of
the 53, once I shift to the 12 it's okay. Right now I have a 1.5mm
spacer in place but I'm still getting the rub. I'm going to email Campy
and see what they think. The distributer is supposed to send me two 1mm
spacers to see if that will work.

You should never, ever, under any circumstances be using the 39/11
combination.

It's generally abusive to ride in the small/small combination, but
especially so when there's an 11 tooth involved. There's nothing wrong
with your bike.

If you do space out the BB to make the useless 39/11 gear usable, you'll
cause deterioration on some of the more useful combinations involving
the big chainring.

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/gears.html

Sheldon "It Ain't Broke" Brown
| Habit is the nursery of errors. |