Old July 25th 19, 10:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Default Creaking pedals/cleats

AMuzi wrote:
On 7/25/2019 11:31 AM, Duane wrote:
On 24/07/2019 9:11 p.m., jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, July 24, 2019 at 5:20:58 PM UTC-7, Duane wrote:
Mark J. wrote:
On 7/23/2019 9:23 AM, Duane wrote:
Look Keo 2 Max with grey cleats. What's the trick to
stop them from
creaking? I switched from the grip cleats to the
plain ones with the
white silicon ridges and the creaking stopped for a
1000km or so. But
now it's back.

Mostly happens climbing or with a head wind. So under
pressure.

Others have already posted better answers, but here's mine:

Back before I gave up on Look Deltas (switched to
two-bolt MTB shoes
~2008), I regularly had awful squeaks. Cleaning the
cleats (and maybe
waxing the nose) would hold them for a while, but on
longer rides, I'd
listen to the squeak for the second half of the ride.
This got old.

I took to carrying a sacrificial tube of chapstick / lip
balm. A touch
of that on the nose of the cleat would silence the
squeak until the next
time I walked on the cleats - at which time the
chapstick coating would
pick up all sorts of grit and the squeaking would
resume. I also took
to carrying a bit of paper napkin to wipe the cleats at
the end of a pit
stop, then reapply the chapstick. Clearly a tedious
ritual, but it gave
temporary relief.

That's one of the reasons I switched to MTB-style pedals
and shoes on
all my bikes.

Mark J.

The general consensus seems to be grit and grime.

Or lack of grit and grime -- mine started squeaking after
a thorough cleaning of the bike. AFAIK, noise comes from
vibration caused by friction between the cleat and pedal
body -- unless the pedal has a built in squeaky-toy or
sound chip. Did you get a discarded clown-nose stuck to
your pedal? When my bike squeaks, I always check for
discarded clown noses.

Anyway, removing friction between the cleat and pedal body
will do the trick. That could mean removing grit or adding
lubricant to a clean pedal -- or throwing on a new cleat
because the old one is fuzzy and acts like a high
frequency zither (?). Remember, wax is always the answer.

-- Jay Beattie
CEO, Paraffin Institute

I thought 42 is always the answer. Just don't remember what
the question was.

Seems still ok even after getting caught in the rain this
morning. I'll find out over the weekend.

42 is an excellent answer. That's the size of sample shoes
and coincidentally my feet. woo hoo.

My shoe size also. Hmmm. How’s your pocket fluff holding out?

--
duane