Old October 6th 07, 05:50 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Brian Robertson

Default Cyclist terrorist

JNugent wrote:

PS: Why wasn't he charged with manslaughter?

I wondered that. I hope that it was at least considered.

One of the problems here, though, is that cyclists are being sent mixed
messages in a variety of ways. A lot of cycle lanes are now on
pavements. I must confess that these routes make me slightly uneasy and
I tend to stick to a very low speed when using them. Secondly, I wish I
had a fiver for everytime that I have seen a copper or a police support
officer riding a bike on the pavement, often in busy shopping areas.
I've even seen the pretend coppers riding at night, head to foot in
black, with no lights on!

Also, some junctions make it almost impossible for cyclists to safely
comply with the law. A good example is the junction between the Trans
Peninine trail and Tiviot Way in Stockport. You come off the trail and
meet a set of lights that take you over this busy road and allow you to
cut through a Tesco car park into Stockport. There is a cycle lane
marked right up to the stop line. It is for bikes. It is where bikes
should be and where I would like to be. Trouble is, bikes don't activate
the lights to change, so you could sit there complying with the law
until the bloody cows come home. The end result is that you have to
crash the lights or cross using the pedestrian crossing.

Still no excuse for doing a lethal speed on a pavement. I personally
think that a charge at least equal to causing death by dangerous driving
should be used against cyclists in such circumstances.

Brian.