Old February 16th 14, 03:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

Default The Joys & Pleasures of Cycling on Trails

"Blackblade" wrote in message ...

And I have also stated that I don't care what you think,

particularly since you are all over the place with your pronouncements.
You're happy to permit running ... which is clearly not about "communing with
nature" but have a huge issue with bikes.

Edward Dolan wrote:

Not caring what is said and refuting what is said are two
different things. Too bad you can't refute anything except crying like a baby
when you can't have your way.

I don't have to refute what you think Ed ... it's just your opinion. I HAVE refuted most of your propositions ... but you can continue to think whatever you like.

Your refutations only work if one accepts your ethos, which civilized hikers reject.

The two recreations are entirely different, both with respect
to purpose and means.

And ? So what ? They are still both recreations ... deserving of equal treatment and access to public resources. One is not axiomatically better than the other ...

Not to be able to make meaningful distinctions marks you as an idiot. You did go to college, did you not?

How the hell did we get to 'death merchant' and surely even you

don't have the sheer effrontery to try and claim that you care about injuries to
mountainbikers ? You've written enough times that you like to see them
injured and killed in this thread. You don't want them to stop for their
own good, you want them to stop so that you can enjoy your recreation in
magnificent solitude.

I want them to stop - period. What does the reason matter? You
want them to continue - period. What does the reason matter? They will continue
to injure and kill themselves because of slobs like you, not because of slobs
like me. You are indeed a merchant of death.

I don't want them to continue ... I want them to decide for themselves. You're the authoritarian here ... I'm for free choice.

I am for free choice too, accept when it conflicts with someone else’s free choice. When choices conflict, decisions have to be made by authorities as to whom has priority. It is called government.

And I have already stated repeatedly that I regard you as a
fool for risking life and limb doing stupid things. You are certainly welcome to
kill yourself, but you advocate that others go and do what you do.

No Ed, I did NOT advocat that others do what I do. I said they should have the choice.

It amounts to the same thing. I want others to do what I do because it is safe and fun. It will not injure or kill them.

That makes you a merchant of death. You are a form of poison to humanity - and you
illustrate perfectly the mountain biker ethos. I don't want you and your ilk
anywhere near hiking trails.

Live a little Ed .. you might enjoy it. If everyone was as risk averse as you we would still be sitting in caves. Remember mountainbiking is pretty safe ... safer than road cycling, rugby, american football, driving a car etc etc etc.

Accidents happen in any field of activity, but almost always due to errors involved. Mountain biking is different. You do what you are suppose to do and still have terrible inevitable accidents, accidents that paralyze and kill. It is actually a form of insanity.

I do indeed want others to make up their own minds. But let
them make up their own minds riding trails designed for wheels and not trails
designed for walking. I am not a merchant of death like you are.

No Ed, you don't want them to make up their own minds ... you want to force them off the trails. Trails to which they have every bit as much right as you.

Unlike Mr. Vandeman I am not opposed to cycling on trails. I just want cyclists to get their own trails entirely separated from trails used by hikers. I think if cycling trails were properly designed they could be made fairly safe for casual cyclists. The macho types will always find ways to kill themselves. That is a given.

Mountain bikes have wheels. Wheels are for roads.

Trails are for walking. What’s the matter? Can’t walk?

Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great