Old February 26th 14, 03:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

Default The Joys & Pleasures of Cycling on Trails

"Blackblade" wrote in message ...

It doesn't matter whether they are the same KIND or not

... they are both recreations therefore both entitled to the same consideration
in terms of their use of public resource.

If that were true then all recreations would be equal, which
they clearly are not. Different recreations have to be managed
differently.

Stop dodging the point. You are arguing that one recreation is superior to another, which you can do, but what you can't do is refute that they are both recreations and, hence, one is not more axiomatically valid than the other. You keep trying to secure a privileged position for hiking but it is, in fact, just another recreation.

I have already conceded that they are both recreations (not sure how “valid” mountain biking is though), but they have to be managed differently. Hiking is clearly a superior recreation compared to mountain biking, but even if it weren't, it would still have to be managed differently.

I'm not listening to what people say ... I'm watching the

video links which you posted ! The evidence of my eyes is clear ... hardly
any interaction ... lots of open space with no people.

Videos are like statistics. They have to be interpreted. What
people say is the only thing that matters. The videos are there for the mentally
impaired.

YOU posted the video links Ed ! Are you mentally impaired ? Why do you keep posting evidence that refutes your own positions ?

If you really want to see how mountain bikers behave on trails, go to YouTube where you can see tons and tons of videos showing bikers ****ing up the trails. Trust me on this, you would not want to be on any hiking trails used by mountain bikers.

Powerful brakes slow you down very quickly.

A bike therefore appearing to be travelling too fast to stop is, in fact,
perfectly able to do so before impacting a hiker, equestrian or other trail
user.

Get it now ?

Nope, I will never get it because disparate speeds on trails
are extremely dangerous, brakes or no brakes.

I think you'll find that, provided you can stop within the distance that you can see to be clear, that there is no issue whatsoever with disparate speeds. Why do you care what speed I'm doing elsewhere as long as I pass you carefully and slowly and don't put you at risk ?

Trails wend and wind and sightlines are sometimes practically nil. A biker can be on you before he even sees you. The truth of the matter is that bikers do not like to brake under any circumstances. You need to answer the question of why motorcycles and bikes should not share the same trails. After all, they both not only have wheels, but have brakes too!

Mountain bikes have wheels. Wheels are for roads.

Trails are for walking. What’s the matter? Can’t walk?

Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great