Old August 21st 16, 08:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default ...jailed after causing the death of grandmother in city centre

On 8/21/2016 12:50 PM, Duane wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Sunday, August 21, 2016 at 8:17:02 AM UTC-4, wrote:

Can you imagine the hue and cry there would have been if it had been a
bicyclist hit and killed by a car and the driver got only 1 year
despite having 11 prior convictions?

not 11 prior police warnings , but a prison sentence:

http://www.scotsman.com/news/motoris...jail-1-2919275

Interesting sentence in the article:

'“Mrs Fyfe wasn’t to blame in any way for the accident. However, she was
not wearing a safety helmet and that, in my view, contributed to her death.”'

Does that mean it's open season in Scotland on any bicyclist not wearing
a helmet? Ridiculous ruling by that judge. It should have been based on
what the driver did/didn't do not what the victim was/wasn't wearing

Contributory negligence isn't a new thing but I don't think I've heard it
applied to the lack of a bike helmet before. Not a good precedence.

It has absolutely been tried in Britain and Germany. From what I've
heard, it hasn't succeeded yet. But some helmet fanatics probably hope
it does succeed.

http://www.cyclistsdefencefund.org.u...ory-negligence

http://road.cc/content/news/121433-g...al-court-rules

--