Old August 23rd 16, 01:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

Default ...jailed after causing the death of grandmother in city centre

On Mon, 22 Aug 2016 07:01:21 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 8/21/2016 7:12 PM, John B. wrote:
On Sun, 21 Aug 2016 10:53:55 -0500, "W. Wesley Groleau"
wrote:

On 08-21-2016 05:02, wrote:
a small selection of real stories here if you're interested. getting killed by a cyclist on the footpath in uk is almost unheard of , by a motor on the footpath about 10 per year last time I looked

I presume you don't think rarity
justifies the ridiculously light sentence.

Ah, but you see penalties in law are normally based on how the society
views the seriousness of the crime.

Treason has, historically, met with extraordinarily severe punishment,
because it threatened the security of the state.

my how things have changed, "at this point what difference
does it make?"

It was just an observation on the value of human life over the ages.

Way back when if you killed someone his brother hid behind a rock and
when you strolled by he bashed your brains out. A tooth for a tooth,
one might say.

Now (it appears) killing someone is such a minor thing that only a
fine is levied and in some cases, I read, the "killer" protest the
fine as it is too much for him to pay. No more tooth for tooth, now
perhaps only "a fart in a wind storm".
--
cheers,

John B.