Old November 6th 03, 08:55 PM

Default touring in Europe (tour operators)

Kent Wenger writes:

I'm planning a bike tour in Europe (most likely France or Italy)
next year, and I wanted to get some feedback on various tour
companies. I'm looking for a tour with a group of fairly serious
riders, with some challenging terrain (Alps, Dolomites, etc.).
Tying in with a big race like the Giro or Tour is an option for me,
but not strictly necessary. Luxurious accommodations (e.g.,
four-star hotels) aren't a priority -- I'd rather save some money by
going with something a little less fancy, if that's an option.

I'm not sure what you mean by "a group of fairly serious riders" but
you probably know some riders who meet that definition. Different
people have different ideas on what they mean by touring but I am
fairly sure that under that title a twosome or at most a foursome is
the best company for an enjoyable ride. Three on a ride doesn't work
as well because only two can ride together in most instances, so one
rider gets left out, being either slower or faster than the others.

Solo rides are also great, because there is no one with whom to match
pace, only the road, the scenery and yourself. I have done that often
and recommend it. Details are available at:

http://tinyurl.com/adls

Jobst Brandt