Old January 11th 09, 11:52 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
lillestrøm_uni

Default Training journal while learning to unicycle

lillestrøm_uni;1050262 wrote:

I'll list my training efforts since 1 May here, to document the
progress:

7 May: 2000 meters swimming in 50 minutes - indoor 25m pool
12 May: 10 km running in 67 minutes
22 May: 2500 meters swimming in 51 minutes (2300 nonstop) - indoor 25m
pool
23 May: 2 hours walking
27 May: 10 km running in 63 minutes
29 May: 15 minutes swimming - Oslo fjord - about 15 degrees
31 May: 50 minutes walking
2 June: 2500 minutes swimming in 67 minutes - outdoor 50m pool + 5 km
jog/walk in 45 minutes + Day 1 unicycling - 3 hours
7 June: 4 hours biking
13 June: 2500 meters nonstop swimming in 55 minutes - outdoor 50m pool
(drove the car there)
14 June: Day 2 unicycling - 1,5 hours
17 June: Day 3 unicycling - 2 hours
20 June: Day 4 unicycling - 3 hours (hurt my knee)
24 June: 2000 meters swimming in 47 minutes - outdoor 50m pool + 5 km
jog/walk in 45 minutes
26 June: 3000 meters nonstop crawl swimming in 57 minutes - outdoor 50m
pool + 5 km jog in 30 minutes

This in addition to the regular morning exercise of 50 push-ups and 600
abs crunches. *My weight has gone down from 97 kgs on 10 May to 88 kgs
today*, with minima at 83 kgs on 3 June (which was the equivalent of 87
kgs since I had no food inside) and 84 kgs on 21 June (probably also on
a rather empty stomach).

So I really feel like I am making progress. I can't really remember
being this fit for more than 10 years :-) Considering that I've been
running 10 km in an hour, I might even consider that my shape is as good
or even better than when I did 30 minute runs of about 5-6 km back in
1995-1998 as a student, and if so then I have to go back to when I was
17-18 to beat my current fitness level.

And I ain't gonna stop here :-) :-) :-)

Well, I have to admit that I didn't manage to follow up on this. In
addition to the unicycle riding I've already posted about, I did a
little running, basketball (not much more than what I posted about, if
any) and swimming - a pitiful 3 - *three *- sessions covering 1000,
2000 and 2500 m respectively.

Add to this a lot of good food, beer and wine - I'm basically back to
my old eating habits, plus that I feel ill during Christmas and didn't
do my daily routine of morning exercise since Christmas Eve, and you've
got me pretty much back where I started at the beginning of May.

I weighed in at 94 kgs on my friend's Wii on Friday, up 11 kgs from 2
June when I weighed myself there last time (83 kgs). That was down from
97 kgs at the beginning of May (so I am not quite as heavy now as I was
then, but if you give or take a couple of kgs due to the measurement
accuracy, my clothes and how much I ate before I weighed myself, then I
am more or less back where I was.

So, now I am starting a new diet. I won't do it for as long as I did in
May (about 24-25 days and losing 11-12 kgs in that time) - my first goal
now is to do it until next week, when I have a business trip and then I
will eat lunch and dinner there. Then I hope to continue for another
week at the end of the month. If I succeed in losing 5 kgs by the end of
January I'll be very satisfied.

Round that off to 4 and I'm down at an even 90 kgs (or 200 lbs for
those in the US). That would be a nice starting point for February.

But, of course, weight loss makes no sense without exercise, both in
order to keep the muscles from withering and making sure it is actually
the fat that disappears, but also in order to feel healthy and last, but
not, least - to stay slimmer, and not go back up. I think the lack of
exercise this fall is at least as much to blame as my increased eating.

So, I am aiming to take up swimming again, at least once a week, which
is what I tried in the fall but I couldn't get up in the morning - the
swimming is only on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 0630 to 0730 at a local
school, so I can go there before work (like the others). One of the
other guys there actually run there from home, and then he runs back (or
to his office, I am not sure). That way he warms up before swimming, as
he says. Pretty tough to go out running at 0600 in Norway in the winter,
if you ask me.

I'm not aiming that high, but if I can do the following, I will be
happy:

- Daily morning exercise
- Swim at least once a week (except when travelling, which was also a
reason why I couldn't get a good routine for the swimming this fall)
- Go out for a walk twice a week or so
- Get out hiking or skiing at least one weekend in February (January
is already fully booked)

All right, I'll keep posting here about my progress with the diet and
the exercise. And then I'll also see, of course, when I can get back in
the unicycle saddle. My feeling is that it won't be until late spring
when I can do it outside, though...

--
lillestrøm_uni

My 'training journal'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/sho...php?p=1025788).
My todo list (augustdreamt™): -Assisted mount-ride-idle- / -Ride- /
-PD- / -Turn- / -Uphill/Downhill- / Idle / Hops / -Curbs- / -Uneven
ground- / Mount / Rolling mount / Jump mount