Old May 20th 13, 05:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Fred Flintstein

Default Lance – The real scandal

On 5/19/2013 9:38 PM, steve wrote:
On May 19, 2:55 pm, Fred Flintstein
wrote:

Everyone that was paying attention knew what was going on. The fans
demand two things:

Exactly but they all keep making holier than than thou statements like
Lance was the only one doping and gosh I just didn't know.

- Riders that are lit up like Christmas trees so they can do jaw
dropping stuff in races.

I don't agree. What I think people want is competition.You can't
really that a racer is going a few KPH faster but you can see pain and
effort and feel the excitement as athletes give it their all to gain a
few seconds.

I suppose next you will argue that the sun doesn't rise in the east.

Bike racing fans want what tennis fans want. Which is what baseball
fans want. Which is what football, soccer, and basketball fans want.
They only get upset if you tell them the details. All these sports
reach the same conclusion about what the fans are asking of their
athletes.

We are much better off appreciating sport for what it is rather than
what we might wish it was. Less disappointment that way.

PS The testing sucks. So really, there is no way to get from where we
are to where you would like everything to be.