Old July 30th 07, 11:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson

Default Why dont they compete in the final stage??

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 08:42:29 -0400, RonSonic
wrote:

The last stage in particular no rider even if he's three hours down on GC will
get away without the sprinter's teams running him down and if the guy's a GC
threat then the leader's team will bring him back.

Everything you say is true about the difficulty of an escape on the
last stage, but it has been done in the last decade or two. Jeff
Pierce won the stage from a break, as did (I think) Eddy Seigneur
(sp).

The last time a GC contendor got a little gap was last year or the
year before by Vinokourov, but really that was a long sprint. The
last read "break" that I can think of by a GC rider was 20-25 years
ago by Hinault and Zootemelk, though that did not change GC since they
were in first and second anyway.
--
JT