Old April 5th 08, 08:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan

Default Slipping exercise bike freewheel

"Werehatrack" wrote in message

It's probably a roller one-way clutch...

Thanks for the reply. I've worked on a lot of machinery, but this device is
a new one on me. Reading about them a bit, I think it may actually be
slipping where it's pressed into the flywheel. That's what it feels like &
if I "torque it" just the right way with, it makes a little dry screech
sound that seems more like the union between the bearing & the flywheel than
the lubricated surfaces where the pulley shaft meets the bearing. I may be
able to loctite it in there. In the mean time, I filed a flat on one spot
on the edge of the pulley where is sits next to the flywheel &
drilled/tapped a hole in the flywheel for a 1/4 20 cap screw, one side of
which sits next to the flat on the pulley & keeps it from turning. So no
freewheel action but at least I can use the bike!

Thanks for the tip!

Dan