Old June 5th 10, 04:37 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment
SMS

Default Anti-Mountain Bike Advocate Attacks Cyclists With Handsaw

On 04/06/10 8:25 PM, Bill Weir wrote:

snip

Wrong. Mike has said it was ok for horses to use said trails. Get your
facts straight before you speak for the inmate.

And the issue was never about trail damage since horses do far more
damage to the trails than mountain bikes, and hikers with lug sole boots
also damage the trails, and destroy plants and wildlife.

It's always the attitude that "hikers were here first so we should have
exclusive use of the trails because it's unpleasant to have to be on the
lookout for mountain bikers.

Personally, what I'd like to see for mountain bikes is something similar
to what some lakes and reservoirs do in regards to alternating access
for self-powered and motorized boats (actually non-motorized boats are
legal any time but you really don't want to be out there with those
crazies). While it would be better for me if they banned all motor
boats, I recognize that the world does not revolve around kayakers and
canoeists, and that as much as I dislike motor boats, they should be
able to use the water too. They did ban two cycle engines on motor boats
on a lot of lakes and reservoirs, which lowered the noise level and the
pollution of air and water.