Old April 7th 06, 08:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

Default Standing + Big Gears Always = Knee Problems?

gds wrote:
Bill Baka wrote:

David L. Johnson wrote:

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 15:23:31 -0700, jonisaacs wrote:

Disclaimer: I think cycling should be fun and enjoyable at every
moment. Never let training ruin a good ride...

Amen.

I tried something today in regards to this thread, riding in top gear
only and sprinting from a stop until out of leg power, then coasting
down again, numerous times. These were all standing sprints to see if I
could duplicate the sore knee problem since I am also in the over the
hill group at 57. All I managed to do was get winded a little more each
time and now I have a residual bit of sore leg muscles but no knee
aches. It might be of some note that I don't clip in and ride with
sneakers so I can hike when I want, so could it be a matter of pedal
choices and foot angles? This was the first day without rain in 'Sunny'
California for about a week, hence this test ride. The stand and sprint
still just reminds me of running uphill, even when pulling up on the bars.
?????
Is it just me?
Bill

Over use injuries usually take some to get to that overuse status. If
you've been cycling for a while and thus in cycling condition a few
hard sprints don't constitute overuse.

I do wonder about your trying to replicate a serious problem. Why would
you want to have knee pain?

The straight answer is that I shattered my right femur into the knee
joint when I was 21 and was curious to see if there were things that
should be avoided. I haven't been cycling that much over the winter
season due to California's rainy weather. There was also the thought
that I might find out something to help the OP, but it might just be a
personal knee problem and not one I have (yet).
Bill