Old November 14th 13, 03:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

Default New B&M Lights with Wide Beam and Daytime Mode Available

On Thursday, November 14, 2013 4:03:09 AM UTC-8, Nate Nagel wrote:
On 11/13/2013 06:18 PM, sms wrote:

I think these

http://www.starbike.com/en/busch-and-mueller-lumotec-iq-cyo/ are the

lights that Andre was talking about (the ones with premium in their

name). They have a much wider beam and there's a model with daytime

running lights. No flash mode for daytime use unfortunately, but perhaps

someone can modify one to add a flash mode for use outside Germany.

Why are you constantly obsessing over flash modes?

While these still don't meet all the requirements for lights (Google

"Choosing a Headlight for Your Bicycle" and see the sixth result) and

aren't as good as the Supernova E3 Triple

http://supernova-lights.com/en/products/e3_triple.html for commuting,

You misspelled "are likely far superior to the Supernova E3 Triple for

commuting although not as good off road"

A flasher can be useful this time of year when my commute is in dreary conditions, and a solid beam can be lost in the light noise. I switch to flasher mode in a few places along my commute route. I would like that option on a dyno light, although it is not critical.

I also like a lot of light when riding in the rain at night, so the Super Nova makes sense. OTOH, I don't think a truly symmetrical beam is very efficient. I've never used a light with a hard cut-off, so I don't know whether I would miss the spew of my current light (which has some, minor beam shaping). I do know that the spew is handy for the climbing and descending portions of my hilly route home, but I waste a lot of lumens lighting the tree boughs and sidewalks when riding home on my flatter routes. Someone should design a light with variable beam patterns.

-- Jay Beattie.