Old August 8th 03, 02:32 AM
Rick Onanian

Default Q. Will I benefit from different tire size or type?

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 20:08:29 -0400, GRL wrote:

Does it not make sense that the fatter tire will have more rolling
resistance because the contact patch (and thus friction) will be greater
with the fatter tire?

I thought this too, but I now believe that I was incorrect.

See http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html#width

If you look at vehicles built for straight-line speed
(other than those where massive power needs to be transmitted to the
ground - definitely NOT bikes) be it soap-box racers to land speed record
assault rocket cars, the tires are hard and skinny to minimize rolling
resistance.

The narrow tires are more aerodynamic and can take higher pressures.

--
Rick Onanian