Old March 27th 09, 04:33 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

Default OT - Cats

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
Edward Dolan wrote:

[...]
When you have this many cats, you go to them. They are not allowed to
come to me. Also, they are confined to various parts of the house,
basement and porch which I seldom visit. Most of them came here as stray
cats, but it does not take long for their numbers to increase. Cats breed
worse than humans.

Neutering cats is better for their long term health (physical and mental),
and eliminates annoying behavior (spraying and fighting by males, howling
during estrus by females).

The above is what you will hear from most vets too, but I tend to disagree.

Have you ever had an anti-hormone shot in your life? What it does is neuter
you and give you hot flashes which go on forever so long as you stay
neutered. I think it is quite cruel to neuter an animal. It is like you are
taking their life right out of them. I doubt it contributes anything to
either their physical or mental health.

My male cats do not fight among themselves and they can spray to their
heart's content in the areas in which they are permitted. Believe it or not,
I can't smell a thing! And my female cats get along with one another just
fine and only get into a bit of howling rarely. You do have to keep the
males and females separated at all times, but I like animals to be normal
just like I am. Cats live by the grace of man, but I want them to have their
own lives regardless of how it might sometimes inconvenience me.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka