Old September 14th 18, 02:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Bus bike rack too short, how to strap in a bike quickly? [update]

On 2018-08-24 07:35, Joerg wrote:
Couldn't believe it. Those great agency folks obviously didn't test the
bike racks for our local buses before signing the contract. Long story
short my 29er bike didn't fit in and neither did my friend's. Luckily
the driver was patient and helpful. We had to load the bikes reversed so
the hook goes over the rear wheel. Not easy because of my panniers but
worked, somehow. The front wheels now rode up on the other side of the
rack slot. We both had bungee cords with which we strapped them down as
hard as we could. Oh, and the slot width barely fit my 2.25" wide MTB
tires barely squeezed in and I had to push down hard. The rack looks
like this:

https://ixquick-proxy.com/do/spg/sho...8df2678ec2064b

When we arrived another rider put his 26" MTB on there on even that
barely fit in (rear wheel rode up half an inch).

Does anyone know a better "strap down" method that is faster than
wrapping a bungee around rim and rack numerous times?

Today I did a road bike trip where I also used the bus. The bus had a
3-slot rack but only the innermost slot was designed correctly with one
end open.

The two outer slots were the same as before, bad design, too short. I
know that Jay and Sir won't believe this but I tried and verified it: My
road bike did _not_ go into those outer slots. Luckily the inner slot
was free.

Hey, don't use my name in vain. I didn't say the racks would work for you.
Nothing works for you. I said you complain a lot about supposed bad government and do nothing about it.

You are probably complaining about the SportWorks DL2/3 which even for the closed-end models is sufficient for bikes with wheelbases up to 44 inches. 44" wheelbase is long. A 62cm Surly Steamroller has a 39.7" wheelbase. I don't know why that rack doesn't work for your bike. They work for odd shaped bikes around he http://farm1.staticflickr.com/93/248...3cdf194b2f.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...rying_bike.jpg
Bikes everywhere! https://ilovethebus.files.wordpress....n-portland.jpg

I guess its time to call Kurtis Ming! There is also this mode of transportation: https://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons...ahmbulance.jpg

-- Jay Beattie.