Old October 1st 10, 03:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Dan O

Default Before & after bike ghettos

On Sep 30, 2:31 pm, Coolmaine wrote:
On Sep 30, 3:45 am, Chalo wrote:

When a motorist is permitted (or even required) to turn across the
right of way of a cyclist, conflicts inevitably arise. I believe the
best method to resolve these conflicts would be to have a clear
precedence of rights of way: peds first, then cyclists, then
motorists. There should be a presumption of fault for the cyclist in
a ped-cyclist collision, and a presumption of fault for the motorist
in a ped-car or cyclist-car collision. That would help keep people
honest and careful, and it would be ethically defensible.

That's too much common sense for most people to understand. But, for
the record, I believe that a fully implemented law or regulation of
that nature is the biggest possible boost a bike culture could be
given, far greater than building any number of bike lanes. The
agreeable and efficient bike culture of The Netherlands and Denmark
are based as much on attitudes and outlooks as on facilities.

http://groups.google.com/group/rando...e9a15e07?hl=en