Old October 1st 10, 05:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default Before & after bike ghettos

On Sep 30, 5:31*pm, Jay Beattie wrote:
On Sep 30, 2:25*pm, Jay Beattie wrote:

On Sep 29, 9:14*pm, Frank Krygowski wrote:

On Sep 29, 11:57*pm, Jay Beattie wrote:

**The students at PSU
(which borders the dreaded bicycle chute on Broadway)...

I thought the "dreaded bicycle chute" was on the Park blocks.

Can you give more details?

It is slightly east of the Park blocks on Broadway, starting at about
SW Columbia. *Here is a picture.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2803183...n/photostream/

That is PSU to the right, and all the students get out of class and
wander in to the bike lane, between the curb and parked cars. *This is
a light traffic period. *The cars turning right at the stop light hook
cyclists because they are hidden by the parked cars.

This is looking south on Broadway before you get to the chute.http://www.flickr.com/photos/bikepor...n/photostream/

another one further northhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/bikeportland/3840548992/in/photostream/

It's not all that long, but it was offered up as the practically
mandatory alternative to SW 5th, which got cut up by mass transit.
The bike lane on that street is like running the gauntlet.http://www.flickr.com/photos/35021226@N02/4519517836/

In that picture, note where the blue streetcar is located at a stop.
Look to the right and see how the bike lane goes up the curb and
straight in to all the people on the sidewalk migrating to the stop.
It then emerges down the curb and across where all the tracks are
turning. From above

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4791190...n/photostream/

Same deal, different street.http://www.flickr.com/photos/sfcityscape/
4997557623/ * *-- Jay Beattie.

Fixed photo link:http://www.flickr.com/photos/jamesbondsv/4576631293/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35021226@N02/4519517836/

Thanks.

I was in Portland a while ago and planned to examine those
facilities. Unfortunately, I misunderstood where they were.

- Frank Krygowski