Old April 17th 11, 12:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Peter Cole[_2_]

Default Sr. Citizen Taking Up Sport Again Questions, Please

On 4/10/2011 1:39 PM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Haven't gone biking in probably 20 yrs, but would like to do a little,
again, for some light exercise.
Would have to be light, as am now in my 70's.

Have a 20 yr old, possibly more, Fuji bike.
Pretty much the regular, normal, looking style.
Road type, Not a Mountain bike style.
Think the frame is steel ?

The tires are the narrow road style.

Questions:

a. I can't read the psi inflation info on the side.
I seem to remember about 90 psi.
Does this sound about right.

Yes, but you're probably overdue for a new set of tubes and tires. Try
to buy the fattest tires that will fit the frame/fork/brakes. Try not to
buy really heavy tires, either. Something like the Panaracer Pasela is
reasonably light and reasonably priced and available in up to 35mm
width. Your selection may be determined by your rim size. That vintage
bike was right around the time when the standard wheel size changed from
so-called "27 inch" to "700c" (slightly smaller diameter).

b. The bike is really heavy. Steel frame, probably.

Fuji made a broad range of bikes, from pretty basic to pretty nice, with
corresponding differences in weight. All the frames back then were
steel, but better ones used stronger alloys to make thinner, lighter
tubing. Frames are only one component, usually in less expensive bikes
the other components are similarly heavier.

Are the new Road bikes, certainly not not "racing" bike styles,
meaningfully lighter ?

Sometimes, but weight isn't usually a pressing concern for non-racers,
and saving a little weight costs a lot of money.

How about the Mountain Bike styles; significantly lighter ?

Usually heavier, suspension forks add quite a bit, and frames and
components are generally a bit beefier.

c. Guess I should also get a helmet.
Was in Sports Authority, and saw a Giro "Indicator" model for
about $ 35.
Is this a good brand ? The reviews in Amazon for the Indicator model
seem a bit mixed.

Would really want as light a weight as possible, and not any more than
about the $ 35.

Helmets are all made to the same spec, so it's a matter of what you like
and what you feel like spending. They all seem to be made with the same
process and materials, so I doubt there's much weight difference,
they're all pretty light.

Other suggestions, and opinions would be most appreciated ?

Much thanks,
Bob

I went through the same process 15 or so years ago. It's likely that
your old bike can be updated a bit and that may be the way to go. Tires
make the biggest difference in bike feel and handling. Usually saddles
need to be replaced after that many years, saddles and handlebars make
the biggest contributions to comfort. Many older bikes have narrow
handlebars and hard saddles (either by age or design), and handlebar
height may be too low. All that can be changed, though perhaps only with
a bit of trial and error and perhaps guidance. Vintage brakes are
usually OK, although the pads may be hardened and need replacing.
Shifters may be functional, but newer components may be significantly
more convenient. I'd start by getting some new cushy tires and saddle
and go from there, see if you want to stick with it. I wouldn't worry so
much about weight, focus on comfort and safety to start with.