Old May 9th 11, 01:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
dgk

Default Sr. Citizen Taking Up Sport Again Questions, Please

On Thu, 5 May 2011 19:52:16 -0700 (PDT), Colorado Bicycler
wrote:

On Apr 18, 12:59*pm, Camilo wrote:
On Apr 10, 9:39*am, Bob wrote:

Hello,

Haven't gone biking in probably 20 yrs, but would like to do a little,
again, for some light exercise.
Would have to be light, as am now in my 70's.

Have a 20 yr old, possibly more, Fuji bike.
Pretty much the regular, normal, looking style.
Road type, Not a Mountain bike style.
Think the frame is steel ?

The tires are the narrow road style.

Questions:

a. *I can't read the psi inflation info on the side.
I seem to remember about 90 psi.
Does this sound about right.

b. *The bike is really heavy. *Steel frame, probably.

Are the new Road bikes, certainly not not "racing" bike styles,
meaningfully lighter ?

How about the Mountain Bike styles; significantly lighter ?

c. Guess I should also get a helmet.
Was in Sports Authority, and saw a Giro "Indicator" model for
about $ 35.
Is this a good brand ? The reviews in Amazon for the Indicator model
seem a bit mixed.

Would really want as light a weight as possible, and not any more than
about the $ 35.

Other suggestions, and opinions would be most appreciated ?

Much thanks,
Bob

Bob: go to the forumwww.bikeforums.net. There's an over 50 forum that
is excellent. *Also many other forums depending on other technical or
other issues you'd like to discuss.- Hide quoted text -

Excellent suggestion as I started that forum about 5 years ago -
really it is a good place despite that.

All the people in that thread ride expensive bikes and haven't slowed
at all. They're all in better shape then they were at 25.

I think I was the only one who posted that my knees hurt, my lungs
wheeze, my eyes tear, and I bought a nice comfortable hybrid because
my back doesn't like riding hunched over any more.

But BikeForums does have a bunch of great forums on all kinds of
biking subjects. Yes, even the over 50 thread.