Old March 11th 05, 07:38 AM
Bartow W. Riggs

I am a road biker always have been and always will be.

I have thought a bit about this

My son races cyclocross....10th at Nationals.

For me, road is all I know. I have nothing against MTB I just don't know.

the idea of a mountain bike with slicks, well that sucks

that is not a way to get on with things
-Bart

10 @14.3

"RonSonic" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 23:58:26 GMT, "Chris" wrote:

I'd like to hear from those of you who had to make the choice of whether
get a road or mountain bike. I'm going to purchase one or the other. I
would guess it would be a while before I could afford the other.

I live in Florida and there are a good number of mountain biking trails
within an hours drive. But it's still at least 45 mins to get to any
trailhead. For road bikes I can be on the road in 1 minute but I don't
know
if riding bikes on florida's roadways is a good idea.

Where are ya and what do the roads one minute away really look like? I'm
within
10 miles of GREAT cycling roads, but getting to any of them means 5 - 10
miles
of the worst road to ride on you can imagine in the USA.

Have you done any off-road riding. You can't do that on a road bike. You
can
ride a mountain bike on the roads. Mark's suggestion of a cross bike's
worth
considering, especially since we don't have much in the way of rocky,
gnarly
trails. It's a bit of a bitch over some of the root and sand single track,
but
you can fly on the double track.

Ron