Old March 27th 04, 07:05 AM
G.T.

Default "Actually you are the first person to bring up this issue"

"Benjamin Lewis" wrote in message
Anonymous "expert" snipes again:

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 10:33:52 -0800, Benjamin Lewis wrote:

- loose surfaces don't lend themselves well to hard front braking.

(I
suppose this holds for most mountain biking though.)
- you can't brake as hard going downhill before lifting your rear
wheel
(maybe this isn't true; that's just my immediate intuition).

Sorry, but you're way out.

Well, I'm sorry too, but just telling me I'm wrong without attempting

explain why is hardly likely to convince me.

Sorry, I hadn't realise we were trying to convince you of anything. I
figured a certain amount of humility on your part would prevail when
discussing a subject, of which you have little/no experience, with a
group that has it by the bucketload.

Give me a break. Even if I knew you, considered you an expert, and
respected your opinions, if you disagreed with me I would expect you to
tell me why. Just saying "sorry, you're wrong" is useful to nobody.

As it is, you're just an anonymous poster on usenet. I never even

insisted
my first intuitions were correct, I just said, in effect, "this is what I
would have expected, for these reasons". If you want me to blindly

believe
*your* statements, just because you claim to be from "a group with lots of
experience", you've got a long wait ahead of you.

The only person yet to have offered a reasonable explanation why
instantaneous braking forces can be higher on DH runs is Jobst Brandt,
elsewhere in this thread.

Ah, yes, Jobst Brandt, that paragon of off-road downhilling.

Greg