Old September 29th 11, 11:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc
Jim

Default Sidewalks, bikes, & civil engineering

On Sep 27, 12:50*pm, Jym Dyer wrote:
The original report at

http://phoenix.gov/STREETS/2007bike.pdf

=v= As usual, based on police reports and thus subject to
the observer bias of police and, in the case of fatalities,
survivor bias. *So the "at-fault" numbers and charts are
completely meaningless, but will of course be used to prop up
the usual entrenched opinions anyhow. *The other stats are of
more value, of course, though they depend on how much forensic
work the police decide to do when a bike is involved.
* * _Jym_

One need not go much beyond the introduction where it says "Most
bicyclists were hit from the left side while riding AGAINST TRAFFIC ON
THE SIDEWALK, ROADWAY or while crossing streets." I capitalized two
points that drive me nuts. We need to ride within the confines of the
law or we will find ourselves confined to bike trails/paths/lanes
there-by limiting where ad how people like myself can live.