Old April 13th 21, 03:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Safety inflation

On 4/12/2021 9:37 PM, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 12 Apr 2021 12:47:43 -0400, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Taking your response from bottom to top: I have certainly NOT ignored
that half of bike crashes are cyclists' fault. I've agreed many times.
That's one reason I'm such a proponent of cycling education.

Well, I looked it up and in 2021 it is estimated that some 70% of the
U.S. population has, or will have, a auto driver's license and as
these people have to, I believe in all states, be tested in the
traffic code as well as the ability to drive it would seem that most
people do know the traffic code. But cyclists require further
training?

I'd say so. Licenses or no, far too many people think they can do
whatever they want on a bike - that rules don't apply.

After all, you're the one whose most frequently said half of deaths are
the cyclists' fault. Be careful not to argue against yourself.

About DRL studies: I'm aware of only one that applies to bicyclists, and
it was ludicrously biased. As evidence of bias, its data claimed the
DRLs reduced even solo bike crashes. I don't believe motor vehicle DRL
studies have much applicability to bike crashes.

I see... There have been studies of DRL's on trucks, automobiles and
motorcycles that show that accidents are reduced for these vehicles
but you don't think that they are applicable to bicycles? Is this
because bicycles are so large and thus are visible even at long
distances?

No, it's because bicycles don't _need_ to be visible at long distances.
For one example, consider motorcycle fatalities. The most common crash
type, IIRC, is when an oncoming motorist turns left across the path of a
motorcyclist. Motorcycle speeds mean long braking distances and no
chance to swerve defensibly. But bikes move more slowly and are more
maneuverable.

My closest call on a bike was that same situation, back when I still
rode too close to the road's edge. At the speed I was going I was able
to immediately turn into the same street the motorist was entering. I
stopped quickly and so did he. There was no contact. If I'd been on my
motorcycle I'd have hit him head on.

--
- Frank Krygowski