Old September 2nd 17, 02:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Jobst

On 9/1/2017 6:52 PM, wrote:
On Friday, September 1, 2017 at 3:40:49 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Friday, September 1, 2017 at 6:08:00 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Friday, September 1, 2017 at 2:01:22 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:

I've noticed many times that people who disagree with Tom tend to give
links to information. But Tom tends to give pronouncements of things he
believes he remembers, with no corresponding links or documentation.

I could tell about my Canadian relatives and their successful cancer
treatments, but that anecdote wouldn't matter to Tom.

Instead, I'm waiting for data on food prices for 2006 and 2016. Come on,
Tom! It's your move! :-)

You know, the last time I said that on a news group several people like you told me I was full of **** and several nurses from the northwest and several more from around Toronto said the same thing as I did and then a patient popped in with his experience which was a 12 month wait for a cancer that gave him a maximum lifespan of three months. And it was just a tumor sitting on his heart. So he came to the US and it was gone in one operation and a month of chemo.

But you want something from a site that you'll believe. And that includes a site that proved to be almost 300% incorrect. But IT'S IN WRITING. Your age is really beginning to show.

Good example! Another anecdote that you believe you remember. No link to online
information.

Since you like anecdotes: My Canadian relative had to wait months for his wife's
cancer treatment. He complained. But as it turned out, the doctors were right,
the cure was complete, and it seems to have cost less than American treatment
would have cost.

Regarding Canada, Jay gave this:
http://www.aarp.org/politics-society...alth-care.html

There's also this: https://www.healthcare-now.org/blog/...c-health-care/

And this: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/11..._13057392.html

But we have at least a couple Canadians posting here. We should let them speak,
I guess.

All of which has nothing to do with your previous claims of astronomical
increases in food prices between 2006 and 2016. I posted data showing that was
likely false. You've posted nothing but "memories," Tom. Can you _never_ find
data to back your alleged memories?

Frank - you really are one of those women's private parts.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-cou...or-health-care

http://caffertyfile.blogs.cnn.com/20...s-health-care/

Here is one of the far left wing sources that you prefer:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0db570d3778ff

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...adian-patients

All of this was readily available and if you didn't want to believe me you COULD have looked it up yourself. But instead you prefer being a F-ing asshole and pretending the world isn't like it is.

First, nobody has denied that some Canadians come to the U.S. for some
procedures - just as some Americans go to Mexico or Costa Rica for some
procedures. But when you read articles like those, watch for words like
"increasingly" - meaning more than before... but exactly how much more?
What are the numbers?

"Phantoms In The Snow: Canadians’ Use Of Health Care Services In The
United States" Katz et. al,
http://content.healthaffairs.org/con...3/19.full.html says in part
"Results from these sources do not support the widespread perception
that Canadian residents seek care extensively in the United States.
Indeed, the numbers found are so small as to be barely detectible
relative to the use of care by Canadians at home."

Note that one of your sources does rate Canada's health care pretty low
- but still better than the U.S. "The Commonwealth Fund, a U.S. think
tank, released a report two years ago ranking Canada 10th out of 11
wealthy nations in terms of health care. Only the United States fared
worse. The report, based largely on satisfaction surveys by patients and
health-care providers, placed Canada last in timeliness of care. The
United Kingdom was ranked No. 1"

Another of your sources, talking about a Canadian who went to Detroit
for an angioplasty procedure, said this: "... [the Canadian system] is
working. He received his care, the Canadian health system paid for it,
and he is alive and well today. Had he been a citizen of Detroit, he
would owe the hospital all of that money plus interest, would have had
to sell his house and declared bankruptcy."

And of course, it's not just Canadians that go elsewhere for care. I
worked with an engineer who had retained his Hungarian citizenship.
Whenever he needed anything more serious than treatment for the flu, he
flew back to Hungary because he knew the care was excellent and
essentially free.

It _is_ true that if a person needs an extreme, highly sophisticated
medical procedure, the U.S. may be the best place to come. Dick Cheney's
robotic heart wouldn't be paid for by Canada's system (itself a good
thing). But cutting edge treatments that cost immense amounts to add a
year of life do present a knotty philosophical problem. Should society
(including insurance companies) really shell out millions so you die in
2019 instead of 2018? What should be the criterion, in terms of dollars
spent per year of life? I don't know, but the answer can't be infinite.

But despite our space-age capabilities, even Americans with no foreign
citizenship travel for medical care.
http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/2016/0...ear-Should-You
I've seen many similar articles medical tourism for Americans. That
article claims 1.4 million American "medical tourists" per year. How
many Canadians do that?

Why would the Americans do that? Here's why, using one of the same
publications you used:
https://www.usnews.com/opinion/artic...m-in-the-world
Fundamentally, we pay a hell of a lot more than anyone else, yet we
don't get anywhere near the best results.

Now, back to inflation of food prices from 2006 to 2016... ??

- Frank Krygowski