Old September 27th 17, 09:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Good alternative to Ultima Replenisher electrolyte?

On 2017-09-27 08:28, wrote:
On Tuesday, September 26, 2017 at 8:07:20 PM UTC-7, Joy Beeson
wrote:
On Sun, 24 Sep 2017 10:02:35 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

Are there alternatives of comparable quality but more reasonably
priced?

I use diluted orange juice.

Usually one tablespoon of juice per water bottle.

-- Joy Beeson joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

Hello Joy, there is more to it than simply replacing electrolytes. I
almost had heat prostration on the 3rd by simply drinking Red Bull.
It provided sufficient electrolytes but insufficient calories to burn
while riding.

When undergoing extreme exercise your digestive processes are
impaired and you should take in simple sugars and electrolytes.

I knew this but the length of the ride sort of developed as I was
riding. Normally a 72 mile ride wouldn't have nearly killed me but
the day started overcast and cool and then after I was beyond the
point of no return it got up over 90 with no shade.

100F+ and no shade is normal here in summer. Scientists say that beer
flushed out glucose and supposedly makes things worse but I can't
confirm that. After a nice pint of Double-IPA, Belgian Tripel or Stout I
feel like having more climb energy than before. Though that burns off
pretty quickly.

... And the
neighborhoods I was riding through were not the sorts where you could
leave your bike to go into a store. The one place I did it a guy came
directly over to my bike until he saw me on the other side of the
glass door and having 8" on him.

That is why I do not patronize stores that do not let me take my bike
inside.

When I return from a hard ride and have a Belgian Ale I recover quite rapidly.

In the bay area you get what you get.