Old October 2nd 17, 11:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DougC

Default Technology advances, to where exactly?

On 10/2/2017 2:15 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Sunday, October 1, 2017 at 8:20:57 PM UTC-4, John B. wrote:

I don't know if it is used everywhere but large fans with a "water
spray" system attached so that they blow a sort of fine mist are
commonly used here in outdoor places where people accumulate. Think
"beer garden", and they also make what might be called "room air
conditioners" that are what used to be called "swamp coolers".

We bought one of the pressurized bottle personal misters during one of our trips
to New Mexico. It worked well for my wife, who doesn't tolerate heat well.

It seems noticeably less effective here in humid Ohio. What's the typical
humidity levels where you see the water spray fans used? ...

Ummm,,,,,, in the desert.

The stark reality of evaporative coolers is that they work best in the
very places that typically don't have a lot of water.

~~~~~~~

In places where evaporative coolers work well, some nicer houses even
have them integrated into the central heating/cooling system.
Evaporative coolers also have the side-effect of dumping a lot of
humidity into the air, which, if you have a luxury home with a lot of
fancy woodwork, part of the warranty is that it isn't valid if you don't
take precautions to protect the interior of the home from very-high and
very-low humidity--because the pretty woodwork will all warp and crack.

If retailers don't sell them where you live, then you probably live
where they don't work well.

If you live in a humid environment, all a swamp cooler is going to do is
make mildew grow on everything in the room.