Old October 16th 17, 06:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default DRIVERLESS ELECTRIC CARS

On Monday, October 16, 2017 at 9:26:00 AM UTC-7, Doug Landau wrote:
On Friday, October 13, 2017 at 9:02:19 PM UTC-7, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 11:08:02 -0700 (PDT), Doug Landau

On Thursday, October 12, 2017 at 9:09:36 AM UTC-7, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 11:37:08 +0100, Steffo
wrote:

I read an interesting article that sooner or later we will not only use
driveless cars as means of transportation, but also 70% of people will
prefer to live in driveless homes http://tinyurl.com/yangl6pa rather
than buy expensive condos/houses.

Yep. If it moves, is road legal, and can be computerized, it can be
automated to drive itself. Just keep the mobile home moving so that
it never needs to find a parking space. Progress blunders onward.

Just one problem. The road infrastructure that the US built during
the 1930's depression, and again during the cold war, is falling
apart. Roads are designed to last about 25 years and bridges about 50
years. The better built freeways, maybe also 50 years.

? These things change all the time

What things change? The lifetime of roads and freeways?

No, the roads themselves. Not where you live. But when I came back from coleg 237 was one lane in each direction with a stop sign at 1st street. It is now 12 lanes wide and 880 has gone from being 2 to 12 lanes.
When I go back to visit where I went to skool there is a brand new freeway each time where there was nothing before.
When I drive home I don't even recognize the 405 exit lane - it is now on the left not on the right!! I don't remember ever seeing a left-hand exit lane before that; pretty soon they were in NorCal too.
When I moved here in 1972 they were building 280, and recently built 85.

I would agree that nothing has changed in -your- neighborhood.

You have to wonder what the hell is going on. 280 was wide open going south from Highway 92 most of the way to Sunnyvale just 5 years ago. That last couple of times I've gone to Palo Alto Medical Center it's taken me almost two hours from San Leandro. I can ride my bike there in an hour and a half.