Old May 10th 17, 05:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Is there any good non-rechargeable headlights anymore?

On 2017-05-10 09:05, DougC wrote:
A couple of my old headlights died due to batteries accidentally being
left in them long enough to leak. The old lights were Cateye HL-EL530s,
that took 4 x AA batteries.
http://www.cateye.com/en/products/detail/HL-EL530/
tho mine wasn't that one, mine was the previous-generation that had a
rectangular beam due to a second focusing cone inside the main
reflector. I cleaned them up a bit with some vinegar and water, but
they're probably toast. The reflector surfaces look pretty gray.

So I'm shopping around for ANY kind of headlights that take 4 x AA
batteries, and there is none. The best I can find is one that takes 3 x
AAA, but that doesn't put out anywhere near what the previous lights did.

http://en.bumm.de/produkte/akku-sche...r/ixon-iq.html

Quote "4 rechargeable Ni-MH batteries, each 2100 mAh, no memory effect.
Charging time approx. 5 hours using provided charging unit. Power supply
by 4 non-rechargeable AA batteries possible".

However, their stuff tends to be expensive.

I said good bye to the li'l battery lights a long time ago and now have
a 1000 lumen light on each bike. On the road bike powered by a 8.4V
8800mAh Li-Ion pack which gives me 4-5h at full bore. The MTB has a
battery half that size. In the garage I plug in and it'll be ready for
the next round. What I still have to do is make electrical boxes and
regulators so I can power some modified bright rear lights that then
also do not require swapping out batteries anymore. The topper would be
a hub dynamo to keep things charged but that might never happen.

The only mod I did to the front lights was installing diffuser discs so
they won't blind others and throw a nice amount of light horizontally.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/