Old August 20th 08, 05:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Saying Hi on the Bike Path

On Aug 20, 11:46*am, Jorg Lueke wrote:
When passing by another biker on a path do you:

Vocalize a Greeting?
Gesture a Greeting?
Stare at the other biker to se if they are going to say or do
anything?
Stare stoically straight ahead?
Pay no attention to what other people are doing?

or...

I very rarely ride paths. When encountering another cyclist, however,
I usually nod or half-wave when passing head to head, and offer a
brief "hello" or "nice day for a ride, huh?" if going in the same
direction (or head to head MTBing, in slow areas where there's time).
I tend to get the same response, though there are the elitist few who
don't acknowledge me, perhaps because they're too serious or perhaps
because my appearance isn't up to their standards. I ride on the road
in normal looking clothes and a hat, and MTB in normal looking clothes
with a full-face helmet (or the helmet clipped to my pack if just
tooling along a rail trail or something similar, where the chances of
a wreck are nil)