Old February 9th 18, 04:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Default Dickens:"The law is a ass."

jbeattie writes:

On Thursday, February 8, 2018 at 4:30:39 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Thursday, February 8, 2018 at 6:58:04 PM UTC-5, wrote:
"The police and prosecutors
do not want to ruin someone's life just for killing a cyclist, so
they accept "I didn't
see" him or her as a valid defense (instead of the admission of
negligence that it really
is. "

Most of us drive too. It is damned easy not to see a cyclist.

If you really believe that applies to a cyclist in ordinary daylight, or a
legally lit cyclist at night, you should turn in your driver's license.

It's your job as a driver to see cyclists, plus pedestrians (including kids
who my react unpredictably), plus motorcycles, plus other cars, plus trash
cans that blow into the road, plus trees by the side of the road, plus any
number of other things that may be near you or in front of you.

Other than a persecution complex, there is no reason to conclude
"just a cyclist" as some kind of motive, when the easier
explanation is that mere negligence is a just a civil case and
there is simply insufficient evidence to prove a crime.

Negligence is not just a civil case. There are laws against it.

Well, unless your drunk or criminally negligent, it is a civil
case. Otherwise, every car v. car accident would be criminally
prosecuted. The evil dark side of treating bicycles as vehicles is
that getting hit by a car is legally no different from getting hit in
a car by another car. You ask who had the right of way and go from
there.

But I have yet to see a ghost car by the side of the
road. http://www.oregonlive.com/living/ind...nd_a_bitt.html

I see quite a few roadside crosses here. I'm sure most of those they
memorialize were either car drivers or passengers. Maybe they don't do
that in Oregon.