Old July 25th 05, 01:40 AM
caaron

Default Nicks & Cuts in tires

Thanks for the info. The cuts are mostly surface cuts, and the cords are
not exposed and none have cut the cord plies so I guess I'll keep riding on
them...

Thanks again.

Chuck

"Werehatrack" wrote in message
On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 13:43:05 -0400, "caaron"
wrote:

My question is this: How do I know when it is time to replace these tires
or when it is no longer safe to ride on them? I ride on the road and
highway shoulders, where there is a lot of junk that can cause flats, but
these tires have proven themselves better than anything I've ever used
(including the kevlar lined tires which seemed to flat at least twice a
week). I've only had one or two flats in the last three years of riding
on
them...

My opinion only:

If the cord plies are not cut or exposed, they are still structurally
sound enough to ride.

I would encourage greater caution with the front tire, however, since
a flat there at speed can make the bike very difficult to control.

It's been stated here often that the new tire belongs on the front.
One logical corrollary is that if your tires are worn to the point
where you are concerned about their safety, it may be a good time to
replace the front tire precautionarily.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.